Zwift has just announced its next major event series, and it’s the return of a crowd favorite: the Tour of Watopia (ToW) featuring double XP!
The first-ever “fall edition” of the 5-stage tour begins October 2 and runs through November 12. With double XP on tap, powerups doubled in duration, and a fresh kit to earn, you can bet Zwifters will be putting in the work to complete stages, earn points, and level up. Because everyone wants those fast bikes, fire socks, and level 60 status!
Table of Contents
Registration is now open in game and at zwift.com/tour-of-watopia/.
Note: registering just sets you up to start checking off stages and perhaps get some email reminders about the Tour. It doesn’t sign you up for any specific events.
Double Up: XP, PowerUps, and Drafting
Typically riders are awarded 20XP per kilometer or 30XP per mile, depending on whether you have units set to metric or imperial. For ToW stages, riders will receive 40XP per kilometer/60XP per mile. Learn all about ride XP and unlocks >
Runners typically receive 10XP per .25km or 15XP per .25 mile. You will receive 20XP per .25km or 30XP per .25 mile in ToW stages. Learn all about run XP and unlocks >
Additionally, powerups will last twice as long during ToW events. Here’s a list of powerups and their doubled lengths:
- Lightweight (feather): reduces your weight by 10% for 60 seconds.
Use on climbs, when weight matters the most.
- Draft Boost (van): increases the draft effect you are experiencing for 80 seconds.
Use at higher speeds (flats and descents) when you are already drafting off another rider (since this powerup only helps when you are drafting.)
- Aero Boost (helmet): makes you more aerodynamic (reduces your CdA by 25%) for 30 seconds.
Use at higher speeds (flats and descents), especially when no draft is available (although it is still useful when drafting.)
New for ToW Fall ’23
Zwift is rolling out several features we’ve never seen before in this Tour, including:
- Welcome Rides: join a Welcome Ride before the Tour begins and learn about what to expect, a little bit of Tour of Watopia history, how to participate and earn double XP, and what’s new this year. See upcoming Welcome Rides at zwift.com/events/tag/towfall2023welcomeride
- New Roads! Stage 5 will feature new routes for riders and runners (details TBA). Read more about Watopia’s planned expansion >
- ToW Group Rides + ZRacing: ToW used to be just group rides, but this month’s “Race Watopia” ZRacing events are a part of ToW as well. Complete stages by participating in a Tour of Watopia group ride and/or a ZRacing event.
- On-demand: once you’ve registered, you can complete a stage by riding the route in any way – not just as a ToW event! In a fresh twist, Zwift tells us we will earn double XP the first time we complete a stage’s route, whether we ride it as an event or a free ride. So free-ride the route, complete as part of the ZRacing series, do it in a Meetup with friends… it all counts toward completing your Tour. (Note: only ToW events award double-length powerups!)
- New kit unlocks: complete all 5 stages to unlock the Tour of Watopia Fall 2023 kit! (Same colors as the ToW Spring 2023 kit, but a different pattern.)
Group ride events for ToW use the following category/group setup:
- Group A: Longer Ride
- Group B: Standard Ride
- Group C: Shorter Ride
- Group D: Women Only (same route as Group B)
Late join will be enabled for all rides, but Zwift encourages everyone to get into the pens before the event begins to maximize the fun.
ZRacing events use category enforcement and also count toward ToW stage completion – learn more here.
Remember, any route listed below can also be free-ridden (or completed in a workout or meetup) for stage credit.
Stage 1: October 2-8 “Volcano Heat”
Turn up the heat for the opening stage of this year’s Tour of Watopia. Get ready for more PowerUps, levels, and XP!
- Group Ride Longer: Three Little Sisters – 37.7 km (23.4 miles), 401 m (1,316′)
- Group Ride Standard: Figure 8 – 30 km (18.6 miles), 234 m (768′)
- Group Ride Shorter: Ocean Lava Cliffside Loop – 19 km (11.8 miles), 146 m (479′)
- ZRacing: Beach Island Loop – 2 laps – 25.9km (16.1 miles), 96m (315′)
Stage 2: October 9-15 “Long Haul”
Pacing is key because this is the longest stage of the Tour. Be on the lookout for more XP and more PowerUps, and make sure you’ve got plenty of food and water. Some find a group they like early and stay with them. Others mix it up and go interval-style. How are you going to tackle it?
- Group Ride Longer: Eastern Eight – 54.1 km (33.6 miles), 413 m (1,355′)
- Group Ride Standard: Triple Flat Loops – 36.3 km (22.6 miles), 134 m (440′)
- Group Ride Shorter: Tick Tock – 19.2 km (11.9 miles), 44 m (144′)
- ZRacing: Flat Route – 2 laps – 21km (13 miles), 122m (400′)
Stage 3: October 16-22 “Epic Climbs”
Prepare yourself for an epic stage three—like any tour’s Queen Stage, it’s the most challenging stage you’ll face. Some may even say it’s a royal pain. Be on the lookout for more XP and more PowerUps as you conquer some serious elevation gain.
- Group Ride Longer: Tour of Fire and Ice – 28.3 km (17.5 miles), 1,161 m (3,809′)
- Group Ride Standard: Climber’s Gambit – 27.9 km (17.3 miles), 670 m (2,198′)
- Group Ride Shorter: Volcano Climb – 23.3 km (14.5 miles), 192 m (630′)
- ZRacing: Two Bridges Loop – 2 laps – 14.7km (9.1 miles), 160m (525′)
Stage 4: October 23-29 “Jungle Time”
Keep your eyes peeled and your safari hat at the ready! You’ll see plenty of wildlife under the cover of the jungle canopies as you unlock more XP, longer PowerUps, and new levels.
- Group Ride Longer: Big Loop – 42.9 km (26.3 miles), 651 m (2,136′)
- Group Ride Standard: Road to Ruins – 29.6 km (18.4 miles), 268 m (879′)
- Group Ride Shorter: Jungle Circuit – 13.6 km (8.4 miles), 79 m (259′)
- ZRacing: Volcano Circuit CCW – 4 laps – 21.3km (13.2 miles), 80m (262′)
Stage 5: October 30-November 5 “New Roads”
Celebrate the final stage of the Tour on all-new roads along Watopia’s Southern Coast. Be one of the first to ride this flat, coastal expressway—all the way from Fuego Flats to the Mayan Jungle, and enjoy the scenery along the way.
- Group Ride Longer: The Big Ring – 48.9 km (30.4 miles), 268 m (879′)
- Group Ride Standard: Coast Crusher – 42.4 km (26.3 miles), 208 m (682′)
- Group Ride Shorter: Canopies and Coastlines – 27.5 km (17.1 miles), 246 m (807′)
- ZRacing: Going Coastal – 16.5 km (10.3 miles), 63 m (206′)
See stage details and sign up at zwift.com/tour-of-watopia/ride
Running events for ToW use the following category/group setup:
- Group A: Longer Run
- Group B: Standard Run
Late join will be enabled for all run, but Zwift encourages everyone to get into the pens before the event begins to maximize the fun.
Stage 1: October 2-8
Start your Tour off strong with Stage 1. Ease into the distance and get ready for longer stages.
- Longer: none
- Standard: Volcano Circuit – 6.8 km (4.23 miles)
Stage 2: October 9-15
Tackle your first 5 or 10K in Stage 2 and get rolling on double XP.
- Longer: none
- Standard: 5k Loop – 5.3 km (3.3 miles)
Stage 3: October 16-22
You’re over halfway there. Keep up the good work!
Stage 4: October 23-29
Three down, two to go! Keep up the effort and continue to level up twice as fast.
Stage 5: October 30-November 5 “New Roads”
Celebrate the final stage of the Tour on all-new roads along Watopia’s Southern Coast. Be one of the first to run this flat, coastal expressway—all the way from Fuego Flats to the Mayan Jungle, and enjoy the scenery along the way.
- Route details coming October 25!
See stage details and sign up at zwift.com/tour-of-watopia/run
Missed a stage or two? Or maybe you just want more of that sweet double XP? Make-up stages will be held from November 6-12. During those 7 days, Zwift will host events every 30 minutes covering all 5 stages.
There are both cycling and running kits to unlock during the ToW! Kit unlocks are progressive as you complete stages:
- Complete one stage to unlock the Tour de Watopia 2023 Cycling Cap or Runnign Hat.
- Complete three stages to unlock the Tour of Watopia 2023 Cycling or Running Shoes.
- Complete five stages to unlock the Tour of Watopia 2023 Cycling or Running Kit.
Questions or Comments?
We’ve shared everything we know above, and will update this post with new info as it becomes available.
Still got questions? Post below and we’ll try to get them answered.