Zwift has been steadily building a calendar of Zwift-owned events that ensure riders have a consistent set of race events to choose from each day. First the ZRacing monthly series began in September 2022, then the TT Club Series was spun up in December 2022. The Crit Club arrived in May, and this week Zwift has announced their new “Hill Climb Racing Club”.
(For those unaware: the Hill Climb is an eccentric, lung-busting, very British genre of IRL bike racing. GCN did a nice bit on it a few years back if you’d like to know more.)
Hill Climb Event Details
The Hill Climb Racing Club is hosting daily Hill Climb race events beginning June 5. The selected climbs get progressively harder each week, and there are two crucial things to understand:
- Riders are ranked on ZwiftPower based on their KOM time only. Your finishing time on the route is of no consequence – you will be scored based on your time on the climb.
- Drafting is disabled, so there’s no need to hang with the pack for a slight advantage on the climbs. Ride at your pace, treating the start like a warmup and the finish like a cooldown if you’d like.
Here’s the schedule of climbs and overall routes for the next 5 weeks:
- June 5-11: Hilly KOM (Watopia Hilly Route, 1 lap)
- June 12-18: Sgurr Summit North (City and the Sgurr, 3.7km)
- June 19-25: Volcano KOM (Volcano Climb, 1 lap)
- June 26-July 2: Epic KOM (Big Loop, 18km)
- July 3-9: Alpe du Zwift (Road to Sky, 1 lap)
While events are only scheduled for the next 5 weeks, our hunch is this is an experimental launch of a new Hill Climb series, and if interest is high enough the series will continue.
Need a Climbing Rig?
Check out Fastest Climbing Bike Frames and Wheels at Each Zwift Level to learn which frame and wheels will get you to the top fastest!
Questions or Comments?