Our friends at WTRL who brought us the wildly successful Zwift Racing League have just announced their next partnership with Zwift: the Zwift Duathlon League!
Director of WTRL Martin Carew says, “This is exciting. It is the first time cycling and running is distance-focused. This event is different, with the objective being to go ‘as hard as you can, for as long as you can with the aim to go as far as you can.’”
How the Races Work
The concept is simple: Zwifters will ride as far as they can in 35 minutes, then run as far as they can in 15 minutes, with a 10-minute transition from cycling to running.
The bike races are mass-start, with no drafting, so you will need to select your best Time Trial bike and be prepared to go full gas! (See below for help choosing your fastest TT setup.)
A transition time of 10 minutes allows you to change your shoes and power up the treadmill.
The run event is simple: just run as far as you can in 15 minutes.
How Scoring Works
A simple scoring system will determine your league position:
- For every complete 5 meters cycled you will earn 1 point.
- For every meter that you run, you will earn 1 point.
Scores are then added together to form a league table by age group.
Routes & Schedule
The Zwift Duathlon League will take place weekly starting on Wednesday February 17, and consist of 6 total races.
Each week’s race has 6 Wednesday timeslots to choose from (or Thursday depending on your timezone):
- 3:00 AM & 3:45 AM PST // 6:00 AM & 6:45 AM EST // 11:00 AM & 11:45 AM GMT
- 7:00 AM & 7:45 AM PST // 10:00 AM & 10:45 AM EST // 3:00 PM & 3:45 PM GMT
- 11:00 AM & 11:45 AM PST // 2:00 PM & 2:45 PM EST // 7:00 PM & 7:45 PM GMT
- 3:00 PM & 3:45 PM PST // 6:00 PM & 6:45 PM EST // 11:00 PM & 11:45 PM GMT
- 7:00 PM & 7:45 PM PST // 10:00 PM & 10:45 PM EST // 3:00 AM & 3:45 AM GMT
- 11:00 PM & 11:45 PM PST // 2:00 AM & 2:45 AM EST // 7:00 AM & 7:45 AM GMT
Each week, the Time Trial course and Running course will vary. Here is the schedule of routes:
- February 17, 2021 – Bike: Tick Tock // Run: Richmond UCI Worlds Reverse
- February 24, 2021 – Bike: Libby Hill After Party // Run: Big Foot Hills
- March 3, 2021 – Bike: Watopia’s Waistband // Run: Innsbruck KOM After Party
- March 10, 2021 – Bike: Greatest London Flat // Run: Tick Tock
- March 17, 2021 – Bike: The Magnificent 8 // Run: Everything Bagel
- March 24, 2021 – Bike: R.G.V. // Run: Whole Lotta Lava
You must create an account with WTRL in order to register for the series. Event details (private signup links) will be furnished via email.
Picking a TT Rig
The cycling routes for this series are quite flat, so you’ll want the most aero TT rig possible. Here are some helpful links:
For more details including rules, routes, Visit WTRL’s Zwift Duathlon League page for more info on this series.