Last Saturday’s set of Tiny Races was a fun mix of custom Watopia and Makuri Islands routes. Some climby, some flat, some dirty! The most surprising, perhaps, was the Makuri Islands Valley to Mountaintop (3.5km) race because of how much the pack strung out through the early dirt of the Golden Forest. A very attritional race!
Congrats to Last Week’s Winners
A: Jun Kamotora (TMR)
B: Magnus Wiklund (eSRT)
C: Paul Smith (ART)
D: Emil Syvertsen-Fox (V)*
A: Thomas Thrall (NeXT pb Enshored)
B: Rodrigue Mandrillon (NCT)
C: George Esplin-Jones (OTR)
D: Daniel DS Biking (SZR)
A: Thomas Berry (BL13)
B: Sam Atkinson (TBR)
C: Mark Ridings (DIRT)
D: David White (EVO)
* The Colossal Bath Salts took 1st for the Ds, but has an inaccurate age on ZwiftPower so we gave the win to Emil, the 2nd place finisher.
This Week’s Routes
This week has two 1-lappers to start off the hour, then two custom-length routes to finish.
Here are photos so you can see the precise location of the Richmond custom finish line:
- Race 1: Queen’s Highway (1 lap)
- A pitchy little loop, with a drawn-out final sprint that’s slightly uphill. This one is all about timing: modulating your power to efficiently maintain momentum on the short climbs, activating your powerup for maximum effectiveness… and where should you start your final sprint?
- Powerup: Draft Boost
- Race 2: The 6 Train (1 Lap)
- One quick clockwise loop of Central Park’s inner roads. Do you use your feather on the kicker on the back of the course, or save it for a bit of a boost in the long, flat finishing sprint?
- Powerup: Feather
- Race 3: Richmond UCI Reverse (4km)
- This is gonna be a wild one! Start with a descent, then a longish climb. Grab a ghost at the banner, then it’s a quick descent into a really steep, short kicker (20%+!). Grab another ghost at the Libby Hill KOM banner, then descend Libby’s cobbles and end on the paved, straight downhill that follows. Climbers will get away on the last kicker, but bigger riders may just be able to chase them back!
- Powerup: Invisibility (Ghost) x2
- Race 4: Jungle Circuit Reverse (6.3km)
- This mostly downhill race covers just the lead-in of the Jungle Circuit Reverse route, which includes the rope bridge. Race ends at the Jungle banner. Bring your gravel bike!
- Powerup: none
Join a Chat & Chill Cooldown Event
Immediately following each hour’s racing, we’ve scheduled 30-minute “Chat & Chill” events where riders from all categories can spin out their legs together and have some fun chatting about how it all went down. The events haven’t been created yet, but when they’re done you’ll be able to find them at:
Zwift displays preliminary race results in game when you cross the line, but points are computed after all four races finish, with final results on ZwiftPower. (We have to press a ZwiftPower button to compute results manually, so if your rankings don’t show up right away, just be patient.)
Riders will earn points based on finish position in each of the 4 Tiny Races. The category winner of each week’s series is the rider with the most points across their timezone’s 4 races. Here are the links for each timezone’s results on ZwiftPower:
Questions or Comments