PowerUps in give you either immediate XP or a very short “boost.” In Zwift’s early days the use of powerups during races was outlawed by most race organizers, but over time Zwifters have come to embrace the use of powerups as a virtual substitute for the mechanicals, shifting winds, and other variables common to outdoor riding. They truly add a necessary element of randomness and strategy to Zwift racing.
Here is everything you need to know about powerups in Zwift.
What Does Each PowerUp Do?
- Large Bonus: +250 experience points, or the equivalent of riding 12.5 kilometers.
- Small bonus: +10 experience points, or the equivalent of riding .5 kilometers.
- Lightweight (feather): reduces your weight by 9kg for 15 seconds.
Use on climbs, when weight matters the most.
- Draft Boost (van): doubles the draft effect you are experiencing for 30 seconds. In a double draft event, this powerup will give you 4x the standard draft effect.
Use at higher speeds (flats and descents) when you are already drafting off another rider (since this power up only helps when you are drafting.)
- Aero Boost (helmet): makes you more aerodynamic (reduces your CdA by 25%) for 15 seconds.
Use at higher speeds (flats and descents), especially when no draft is available (although it is still useful when drafting.)
- Burrito: makes you undraftable for 10 seconds.
- Cloaking (ghost): makes you invisible to other riders for 10 seconds.
Activating a Power Up
Use the spacebar on your keyboard, or Zwift Companion also provides a button.
With the exception of the Small Bonus and Large Bonus which activate immediately, all other power ups show a white timer bar when activated. The timer circles counter-clockwise and your powerup ends when the timer reaches the top of the circle.
PowerUps are randomly given when you go through an arch (start/finish, end of KOM, end of sprint). If you have an unused powerup as you pass through an arch, you won’t receive a new one.
Distribution of PowerUps
Curious how often each powerup is given out? Here’s a handy chart >