Using the kettlebell in your cycling strength training program provides several unique benefits, making it an appealing choice for off-the-bike training.
The Benefits of Strength Training with Kettlebells
- Efficient use of training time: The ability to flow from one exercise to the next without the need to adjust or change your equipment results in shorter, more intense workouts.
- Total body training: Most kettlebell workout plans employ a vast range of muscle groups, allowing you to stimulate a greater number of muscle fibers in a shorter period of time.
- Cardio aspect: The dynamic nature of the exercises and greater muscle recruitment cause an increase in heart rate while developing muscle strength and endurance.
- Less equipment required: Due to the flexibility and adaptability of the exercises, with the utilization of only one piece of equipment you are able to perform a challenging and progressive workout.
- Little space needed: Most exercises can be performed in a compact space and in the safety of your own pain cave.
- Functional for daily life: The exercises are based upon normal everyday movement patterns which translate as improvement in the performance of daily living activities as well as cycling.
- Counteracts the negative effect of prolonged sitting: By dynamically engaging core and postural muscles, the exercises negate the deleterious effects of prolonged sitting in the saddle and out.
Zwift Insider Kettlebell Strengthening Program
Do you use kettlebells as a tool in your cycling strength training? Your fellow Zwifters want to know how they work for you! Comment below…