Team Type 1 is at it again with another event you won’t want to miss! It’s a 24-hour team relay happening all day this Saturday, November 14 on World Diabetes Day!
What is World Diabetes Day?
World Diabetes Day was created in 1991 by IDF and WHO to raise awareness about the growing health threat that comes with diabetes:
Why is this such a big concern? Check out some of the stats about diabetes from the World Diabetes Day website:
- In 2019 463 million adults (1-in-11) were living with diabetes
- 1 in 2 adults with diabetes remain undiagnosed
- More than 3 in 4 people with diabetes live in low and middle-income countries
- Diabetes caused 4.2 million deaths in 2019
How Can I Join Others Riding for World Diabetes Day?
Choose one of the following fun ways, anytime on November 14, 2020 between 12AM EST and 11:59PM EST:
- Join Team Type 1 teammate, Steve Reynolds, anytime during the 24 hours. He is planning to ride 24 hours straight!!! To join Steve on ZWIFT, simply add him on your ZWIFT Companion App prior to your ride by searching for his name, Steve Reynolds TT1F. Once his name appears, click to add him to your App. When you are ready to start your relay ride, simply log into ZWIFT, select Watopia, you’ll see his name listed. Click his name, and then click join Steve. You will be transported to him on the ZWIFT Tempus Fugit route. He is not planning to ride fast, and it will be GREAT!
- Join the Pace Partner C. Cadence anytime during the 24 hours. Simply log into ZWIFT, select Watopia, and you will see the Pace Partners listed. Choose Coco and you will be teleported to her. There will be many others following her as well. She rides pretty fast (2.5 w/kg), so join Steve instead if you prefer. In the event that the Pace Partners aren’t riding that day, join Steve instead.
- Join one of the many teams who are doing social rides and races in solidarity with Team Type 1:
- Team Type 1 Weekly Social Ride led by Mark Deal on November 14, 2020 at 10:10AM EST. The ride will be on the same route that Steve and Coco will be riding (Tempus Fugit).
- PACK 1.5 Ride Supporting World Diabetes Day with TT1, November 14 at 4:30AM EST, an excellent and easy beginner ride or the PACK SUB2 Ride supporting World Diabetes Day with TT1 on November 14, 2020 at 11:00AM EST.
- Herd Beginner Racing Series with TeamType1 on November 14, 2020 at 4AM EST, 7AM EST, or 3PM EST. An excellent way to get your feet wet as a new racer!
- 3R Mountain Madness Steady Ride November 14 at 2AM EST, 3R 100 Steady Ride [~2.5w/kg avg] November 14 at 2:30AM EST, or 3R Endurance Steady Ride [~3.0//2.5w/kg avg], November 14 at 10AM EST.
- SAS Cycle Club’s France 75km, November 13 at 3:30PM EST, SAS – CENTURION 100km, November 14 at 1AM EST, SAS – ULTRA 200km, November 15 1AM EST
- Team Ascenders: Zwift Singapore Ride with Ascenders Team, November 13 at 5:30PM EST, Team Brevet 200 Challenge on November 14 at 1AM EST , or Ascenders Team [AsC 3.0] Ride on November 14 at 6:05PM EST
- Team Novo Nordisk will have 3 pro riders riding for World Diabetes Day: Sam Brand, Sam Munday, and Umberto Poli.
Is this also a fundraiser?
Yes! Team Type 1 is raising money for two excellent organizations: Team Type 1 Foundation and JDRF!
Team Type 1 Foundation believes that nobody should die from diabetes; that nobody should suffer hardship or a lower quality of life because they have diabetes. Access to healthcare is a human right. Their vision is a world without poor health or death from diabetes, and without the common stigma that people with diabetes can’t – because, as they say: We Can. We Do. Go here to donate to Team Type 1 Foundation >
A donation to JDRF means you’re helping fund critical T1D research across the globe in support of their mission: to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications. Join them, and as they say: together we can turn Type One into Type None. Go here to donate to JDRF >
We hope to see you out there on November 14!