Last week’s Tiny Races were a leg-burning smashfest as usual, but things were a bit buggy with steering accidentally getting disabled and the wrong course being set for Zone 3, Race 3. (Sorry about that!)
This week we’re back on track with a quarter of National Train Day-themed races. But first, we want to congratulate Sarah Hoffman (Herd), who won 1st place overall in the Zone 2 D category to become the first woman ever to take an overall podium in the Tiny Races. Chapeau!
Last Week’s Results
A: Josh Harris (AERO)
B: Will Miller (LECR)
C: Edmar Bartolo (TZP)
D: Nuno Baptista (TugaZ)
A: Daniel Jamrozik (Restart)
B: Martin Ehmoser (Talent:frei)
C: Matt Campbell (UnitedVelo)
D: Sarah Hoffmann (Herd)
A: Stu Turner (AHDR)
B: Big Ben (DIRT)
C: Desi Sta Cruz (TZP)
D: Michael Nelson (Smarterknowledge)
A: Emilia Welte (SYNERGY)
B: Alice Lethbridge (Socks4Watts)
C: Charlene Lavigne (Hexagone.cc)
D: Mina S (ZSUNR)
B: Tiffany Penner (SYN)
C: Julia Hargreaves (S4W)
D: Sarah Hoffmann (Herd)
C: Leanne Dalley (CrushPod)
This Week’s Routes: National Train Day
Since it’s National Train Day in the USA, all four races this Saturday will be held on routes with train tracks nearby. Choo choo!
- Race 1: Innsbruckring (5.434km, ends at Legsnapper KOM banner)
Always a crowd favorite, Innsbruckring’s Legsnapper is made even more dynamic when the race finishes at its top. We’ve got extended feathers now… you’ll want to save yours for the Snapper!
- Powerup: Feather (1x)
- Race 2: Countryside Tour (5.261, ends at Country Sprint banner)
This one starts with a slight downhill (with train tracks overhead), then it’s essentially pan-flat to the finish. Who will wait for a pack sprint, and who will attack early?
- Powerup: Ghost (1x)
- Race 3: Park Perimeter Loop (7.434, ends at sprint banner)
The Harlem Hill climb will stretch and split the field. But with a few kilometers left until the line, some riders may be able to chase back onto the front. (Note: This is our longest race of the day, so we scheduled race starts in a way that gives D racers a few extra minutes to cross the line.)
- Powerup: none
- Race 4: Tempus Fugit (6.17km, blind finish exiting twisty tunnel after oasis)
Tempus Fugit is the flattest route on Zwift, so this will be fast! This race ends with a bit of a “blind finish” as you exit the twisty tunnel leading from the Oasis.
- Powerup: Draft Boost (1x)
Sign up at zwift.com/events/tag/tinyraces
Zwift displays preliminary race results in game when you cross the line, but points are computed after all four races are finished, with final results on ZwiftPower. (We have to do some data processing on our side to compute results, so if your rankings don’t show up right away, be patient.)
Riders will earn points based on finish position in each of the 4 Tiny Races. The category winner of each week’s series is the rider with the most points across their timezone’s 4 races. Here are the links for each timezone’s results on ZwiftPower:
- Zone 1 (9am GMT/5am EDT/2am PDT)
- Zone 2 (3pm GMT/11am EST/8am PDT)
- Zone 3 (9pm GMT/5pm EDT/2pm PDT/Sunday 7am AEST)
Tiny Race rules are simple, but still every week 7-10% of registered ZwiftPower racers get disqualified and removed from the final results. Don’t let that be you! Four races, four rules:
- You must have a ZwiftPower account, because final results are processed by ZwiftPower (learn how to sign up)
- No skipping then returning. These races are meant to be raced as a set of 4. If you need to leave early, that’s fine… but once you miss a race in your hour’s set of 4, don’t come back and race another or you’ll be disqualified from that race since you rested while others were racing! (Example: racing only races 1 and 2 is fine. Racing 1, 2, and 4 is not – you will be DQ from race 4. And if you race 2, 3, and 4, you’ll be DQ from all those races, since you skipped race 1!)
- Heart rate monitors are required for podium finishers
- ZPower/Virtual power is not allowed. Smart trainer/smart bike or power meter required.
Join a Chat & Chill Cooldown
Immediately following each hour’s racing, we’ve scheduled 30-minute “Chat & Chill” events where riders from all categories can spin their legs together and chat about how it all went down. Find them at zwift.com/events/tag/tinyraces.
Zwift Insider Kit Unlock
Finish any Tiny Race or a Chat & Chill ride and unlock the Zwift Insider “Ride Smarter // Ride Harder” in-game kit.
Questions or Comments
Congrats to Sarah Hoffmann (Herd), saw she was right in the mix for the Z2 D series win before race 4!
Thanks! I was too busy just trying to recover between the races to wonder about the overall, so it came as a surprise to me!
I notice steering is now on. Any idea how I can find races where steering is disabled?
Steering has always been enabled for Tiny Races. You can use ZwiftHacks to search for steering disabled races. But I bet there aren’t many!
Congrats, Eric, on setting up such a popular race series. Week 40!!