Groups rides and races turn your solo trainer time into a social experience. Just like real life, riding with others can help you push beyond perceived limits and pass the time in a more enjoyable fashion. Here’s how group rides work in Zwift.
Joining a Group Ride
Step 1: Register
Do this from the game screen or the mobile app. Just click which category you are signing up for (most rides only have one category, labeled “A”) and you’re done.
Events show up in game a few hours before they start. The calendar is being constantly updated by ZwiftHQ, so if you don’t see an event listed that is only a day or two away, you should check later. You may browse the next few days’ events via the mobile app or on the official Zwift events calendar.
Step 2: Join
After registering you may begin your ride on whatever route you’d like. While riding, click the “Join Event” button at the bottom-left to be transported to the staging area for your event.
By default the “Join Event” button shows up 15 minutes before the event begins, although ZwiftHQ can modify this for particular events.
If you do not click “Join Event” but continue riding, the game will pop up a warning that your event is starting soon, and will automatically take you to the start area if you click nothing and continue to ride.
Step 3: Ride!
Have fun! Once your group ride is complete you will automatically revert to normal riding mode.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Group Messaging: once you’ve joined an event, your messages will only be seen by others who have joined the event.
- Can you quit the event? Yes. If you stop pedaling while participating in a group ride a “Quit Event” button comes up.
- Do warmup miles count? Only if you ride them on course (not in the staging area) and your ride must be at least 1km in length. Any time spent pedaling on the “trainers” in the staging area is not counted as mileage in Zwift or Strava. If you ride on course then click “Join Event” Zwift will automatically post your warmup ride to Strava (if connected). Your “main ride” (the group ride) will be uploaded to Strava when you choose to do so at the end of your session.
- Can I register via the mobile app while riding on course? Yes! Once you register via the mobile app a “Join Event” button will show up, provided the event is starting soon. Keep in mind the “Join Event” button may not show up for a couple minutes due to server communication delays.
- Should I change my name for the group ride? If the instructions in the event description request it, yes. You can change your name via the mobile app, or in-game.
Site is well designed but could use some UX work. I really enjoy Zwift and think the game is great in terms of UI. 😀
I’ve been invited to several group rides with my tri team, accepted the invite, but when the time rolled around, I couldn’t get into the ride. Shouldn’t it automatically pop up and allow me to ride? Thx
We’ve had exactly the same issue. Accept an invite to an event and then try to get on just before the event starts but no ‘join meet’ button appears and it doesn’t automatically let us in!
When viewing Upcoming Rides in game, how can I tell how long each ride is?
I’ve been reading lots of articles online but I can’t quite find anything about this situation. If I have a 90 minute custom workout, but want to join a 60 minute group meetup, should I a) start the workout 30 minutes before the meetup, hoping my workout doesn’t stop when I join or b) start the workout in the meetup and carry on riding for another 30 minutes, hoping the the workout doesn’t stop when the meetup does? Any advice on this very welcome!
04.15.2020 – With new update – I did not automatically get transported to my event. First time that has happened. Will try again tomorrow.
How long after a group ride starts are you allowed to join?
How do I find a group of the right speed? Looking to improve my times on the flatter courses. Joined a group doing tempus fugit by chance yesterday travelling at 45kmh on the flat. It was a good workout. Looking to find similar on the other flatter courses.
You can visit https://www.zwift.com/events and click to filter the events. Choose Cycling, Group Ride, and probably the “C” intensity is what you’re looking for.
? on TDZ, i register ahead for each segment, usually for the B ride, but when i start riding at the scheduled time i always seem to end up in the A ride… what am i doing wrong?
Can you join an event, but make a turn off of the route, like in Watopia?
You can’t make manual turns in an event. You would have to leave the event first… then you can turn wherever you’d like.
Are Group Rides divided up by Category, or is everyone lumped together regardless of which category they select when registering? I just did my first group ride, TdZ stage 6, and it definitely felt like it was all cats mixed. The front group of the 300+ person ride was quite fast.
It varies from event to event. Look at the details in the Companion app to figure out if there are categories based on pace, or just one category… or something else. TdZ rides aren’t divided up into pace groups – they use categories to divide people up into different routes/ride lengths.
For running warmup miles to count, how far do you have to run before getting switched to the event? Is that 1km too?