This weekend is CVR’s “The Major: Winter 2018” World Cup finals at StubHub Velo Sports Center in Los Angeles. Past CVR World Cups were held in Paris, London, and Las Vegas, but this weekend’s event promises to be the biggest yet, with over $100,000 in cash and prizes on the line.
Here’s everything you need to know about this weekend’s racing:
How They Got Here
40 racers will be in attendance: 20 women and 20 men. 10 racers of each gender punched their ticket to LA in the Elite Bracket by either:
- Being one of the eight racers who placed 1st in category A for their time zone in CVR’s winter league series
- Being one of two racers to receive a special invite to the finals
8 additional racers of each gender will be in LA as the Performance Bracket, and they were chosen based on their participation in the CVR training program. 2 additional Performance racers were chosen based on special invite.
The Real Deal
Riders will be weighed-in and racing on equal equipment. All riders will be on CycleOps Hammer trainers calibrated by Saris engineers and double-authenticated via PowerTap power meter comparison to trainer.
Watching the Races
You may watch the racing via livestream online, or attend the event (tickets are free).
- Watch the live stream via cycleVIEW, CVR’s proprietary streaming platform. Click to watch >
- Attend the event at StubHub Velo Sports Center! Tickets are free and available on Eventbrite.
Race Schedule and Routes
There will be two days of racing, with heats on Saturday (March 24) and a final Sunday (March 25) in the form of a mini-stage race.
Saturday’s races are heats to determine who will race in the “Elite” and “Performance” Brackets for Sunday. All races on Saturday will be three laps of the Watopia Hilly Forward route.
- 10:25AM PDT: Heat 1 Women’s Race Starts
- 12:25PM PDT: Heat 2 Men’s Race Starts
- 2:20PM PDT: Heat 3 Men’s Race Starts
- 4:15PM PDT: Heat 4 Women’s Race Starts
Sunday’s racing takes the form of a “mini stage race” with riders competing on the following courses:
- Hill Climb: from the start pen to the castle on Watopia Mountain. 8.9km, 224m elevation gain.
- Hilly Road: two laps of Watopia Hilly reverse. 18.4km, 202m elevation gain.
- Flat Crit: three laps of the volcano circuit (clockwise). 14.8km, 69m elevation gain.
Racers will be given points based on their finishing position in each stage, and the racer with the most points after three stages wins.
- 8:10AM PDT: Men’s Performance
- 10:59AM PDT: Women’s Performance
- 1:58PM PDT: Men’s Elite
- 4:37PM PDT: Women’s Elite
A growing prize purse of over $100,000 will be split among the participants.